Now a farming community, Sunilaws was once a station on the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. (YN&BR). In 1849 the railway line ran from Tweedmouth to Sprouston via Velvet Hall; Norham; Twizell; Cornhill (renamed Coldstream Station in 1873); Wark (renamed Sunilaws Station) to Carham, (crossing the England/Scottish Border), and Sprouston Stations. The North British Railway continued the line in 1851 from Sprouston to Kelso Station (Maxwellheugh, Maxwell Heugh). There was also a branch line that was operated by the North East Railway (NER), that connected with Alnwick. Sidings were located at West Learmouth. The tall railway viaducts still survive at West Learmouth. Sunilaws Station is now a private residence.