The Village of Carham lies in the north-eastern angle of Glendale, 17 miles south-west of Berwick-upon-Tweed, the Scottish Border passing hard by it on the east with the River Tweed lapping its northern boundary. It consists of a single street flanked by well built cottages and farms, while due south lies the farm of Shidlaw, which forms part of the township. In 1018 the inhabitants of Carham witnessed the utter defeat of the men of Northumbria at the hands of Malcolm, King of Alban, supported by Eugenius the Bold, King of the Brythons. So grievous was the slaughter that good Bishop Aldhun, is said to have died of sorrow at the deaths of so many of the children of St. Cuthbert.
Carham was traditionally a meeting place between Scots and English; as early as Johns reign, it was appointed as the place where David, Earl of Huntingdon, should appear to give evidence with regard to the English lands claimed from him by the Earl of Hereford. The first recorded owner of Carham is Walter Espec, who early in the 12th Century gave the whole Vill together with the church, to the Priory of Kirkham.
In 1370, Sir John Lilburn was defeated here by the Scots, under Sir John Gordon who was returning from a "marauding incursion, with many prisoners and a great train of cattle". Near to the village is a small streamlet called the March Burn, that flows into the River Tweed.
Carham Hall, described in 1906 as a modern Elizabethan mansion, was then owned by Lady Compton-Thornhill of Suffolk, but was occupied by a Mrs Burrell. The chief landowners at this time were: The Earl of Tankerville, who was Lord of the Manor; Earl Grey G.C.M.G., Sir John de Marie Haggerston Bart., of Ellingham Hall; Lady Compton-Thornhill, and The Marquis of Waterford K.P.
Letters through Coldstream which was the nearest telegraph and telephone call office, arrived in Carham at 10am. The nearest money order office was at Wark. Children from here also attended Wark school.
Carham used to have a railway station on the Kelso branch line of the North Eastern Railway, although it bore the Carham name, the station was actually in Scotland, while Carham Village resides in England!
The population in 1901 was 906.
There is more information about the church on the "local churches" page.